St. Joseph School, located in Martinsburg, West Virginia, a bedroom community outside Washington, DC, is seeking a principal to join and lead our energetic team of faculty and staff. Rich in history, St. Joseph School is a thriving institution serving over 300 students from Pre-Kindergarten to the eighth grade. Having recently blessed a new STEM Room, St. Joseph School is committed to excellence in its strong academic, athletic, and fine arts programming.
The ideal candidate:
- Is charismatic, enthusiastic, and willing to immerse themselves into our school community.
- Is a practicing Catholic in good standing.
- Has administrative experience in a Catholic school.
- Has experience planning and executing a budget.
- Has a development background in support of healthy financial growth for Catholic schools.
- Holds a Master’s Degree or related work experience.
- Holds, or is eligible for, administrative certification in the state of West Virginia.
- Is knowledgeable in current academic research as well as National and State Standards.
- Possess superior communication, writing, supervisory and relationship skills.
- Enjoys working with students, parents, faculty, and staff.
This position is supported by an Assistant Principal, Advancement Director and a Pre-Kindergarten Director and reports to the Pastor of St. Joseph Church.
Applicants who are interested should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
According to Policy 2212.3 of Diocesan policy for Catholic Schools, the principal will serve as administrator, spiritual leader, financial manager, and chief academic officer. The principal’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to: curriculum, staff development, facilities, sports, finances and all day-to-day operations of the school. The principal reports to the Pastor/Designated Pastor of the school.
- Practicing Catholic in good standing
- Committed to Catholic education and the core values of Catholic Schools
- Committed to the leadership capacity within Catholic Schools
- Should be certified or eligible for certification in the state of West Virginia
- Master’s degree or related work experience preferred
- Administrative experience in a private school, including managing teachers and staff
- Experience working with middle school aged children
- Experience planning and balancing a budget
- Experience with fundraising
General Duties: Chief Academic Officer
As the chief academic officer, the principal will fulfill administrative duties including but not limited to those required as the leader of the school:
- Spiritual Leader:
- Ensures a strong Catholic identity in the school working with teachers, students, and their families to continually build the faith community.
- Instructional Leader:
- Ensures academic excellence driven by a variety of teaching and learning strategies.
- Guides teachers to use data to make instructional decisions.
- Is the chief communicator of the school to families.
- Managerial Leader:
- Manages the school staff including teachers and other school personnel.
- Ensures staff is continually focused on school improvement through the accreditation process.
- Facility Manager:
- Oversees the management of the school facility.
- Financial Manager:
- Oversees the management of finances.
- Plans and executes a balanced budget each fiscal year.
- Oversees fundraising efforts.
Day to day school decisions will be the responsibility of the school principal. Regular meetings with the pastor/designated pastor must occur. Working as a team will be essential to the success of the impact that the leadership will have on the school community.